Carmel of Metz

carmetz fiche


The History of our Monastery

The Carmel of Metz came into being in the Parish of St Gengoulf on the 13th April, 1932, thanks to the arrival of five Carmelites from the first convent in Paris. It was the 30th foundation since 1604, the date of the arrival in France of the first foundresses coming from the reform of St Teresa of Avila. The Revolution dispersed the sisters in August 1792, but 70 years later, on the 10th August 1861, a new small group of sisters came from Paris to refound the Carmel at Metz, on the hill of the Haut du Ste Croix, near to the Cathedral. During the war of 1939–1945, the sisters had to go into exile. At the end of the turmoil, they were able to return to their monastery. At the request of P. Marie-Eugène of the Child Jesus OCD, the transfer to Plappeville took place on the 1st September 1951, to our current monastery which is more spacious and better suited to our life.

The monastery today

The sisters of our community are happy to serve the Church, including through their work which consists mainly of baking altar breads.
Our chapel is open to all from 6.30 a.m to 6 30 p.m (entrance rue Deville).
To profit from the hospitality of the monastery, please contact the guest sister : tel : 03 87 32 83 38.
Several bedrooms are at the disposal of silent retreatants. Meeting rooms are available to welcome small groups who wish to live a monastic day.

Special features of our monastery

The timetable of the liturgical Offices : Lauds 6.30 a.m., Mass 8.00 a.m (9.00 a.m Sunday), Vespers 6.00 p.m.



  • Federation : France Nord
  • Diocese : Metz
  • Ecclesiastical Province : Concordat Dioceses

Contact our monastery

82, rue Général de Gaulle

More information