Carmel of Marienthal at Haguenau

carmarienthal fiche


The History of our Monastery

The Carmel of Marienthal at Haguenau was founded on the 25th October 1887 by Sr Marguerite of the Blessed Sacrament, a native of Haguenau who had entered Amiens Carmel. During the First World War, the Carmel welcomed the injured in a space which had been transformed into a hospital wing, and during the Second World War, some of the local population took refuge there thanks to a German officer who protected the monastery.
The Carmel is dedicated to the Abandoned Love of the Heart of Jesus.

The monastery today

Currently, we are thirteen sisters of several nationalities.
Prayer marks out the rhythm of our days, with the two hours of silent prayer which frame the day – prayer which is rooted in listening to and studying the Word of God, and the liturgical Offices : Lauds at 7.35 a.m. the Eucharist at 8.15 a.m (Sundays and feast days, 9.00 a.m), Sext at 11.35 a.m., Vespers at 5 p.m. Office of readings and Compline at 8.25 p.m.

Prayer is also embodied in our work : the upkeep of the monastery, weaving, making altar cloths, albs and liturgical vestments to order, the IT management of the main Diocesan financial collection, which enables us to be ever more linked to the local Church. The daily evening recreation, times of relaxation and sharing together, meetings to deepen our knowledge of Carmelite spirituality or that of our own community life, are also important moments for us.

Special features of our monastery

The Carmel is situated in a place of marian pilgrimage.
The chapel was decorated by Joseph Asal, an artist who has been rediscovered latterly.
We have a modest guest house, where we can offer hospitality to one or other person desiring a time of silence and prayer.



  • Federation : France Nord
  • Diocese : Strasbourg
  • Ecclesiastical Province : Concordat Dioceses

Contact our monastery

4a, rue de la gare

More information