Carmel in Vals près Le Puy

Carmel Vals près Le Puy


The History of our Monastery

It was at the request of the Father Rector of the Jesuit Scholasticat of Vals that the Bishop of Puy accepted the foundation of a Carmel in his town. This was in 1860, the year of the erection of the monumental statue of Our Lady of France. The following words remained in our chronicles : “The Holy Virgin making her entry into the town could not dispense with her Bridesmaids”. The Carmel of Tulle carried into effect this foundation. The first Mass was celebrated on 8th December in the temporary house where the Sisters were installed and it was only in 1867 that the construction of the monastery could begin, on the same ground, to which the Sisters were transferred in 1870.

The monastery today

In 1965, the environment of our Carmel having become too noisy on the one hand and the degradation of the buildings which necessitated costly repairs each year on the other hand, led the community to look for a place that would be more favourable to our contemplative life. A piece of land was found on one of the hills surrounding the town, opposite Our Lady of France, and the construction of a new monastery was made possible by the sale of the former one. The first Mass was celebrated there on 8th December 1970.

The Carmel in Vals près Le Puy consists of 14 Sisters aged between 35 and 90. Our days are composed of the liturgy of the hours and the two separate hours of silent prayer : 6am silent prayer, 7am Lauds, 8.30am Mass followed by Terce. At 11.45 Sext and at 2pm None, 5pm Vespers followed by an hour of silent prayer and Office of Readings and Compline at 8.30pm.
Our lucrative activities are varied, the main one being embroidery made to order. Three rooms allow us to welcome people who desire to share the atmosphere of silence and solitude of our Carmel for a few days retreat.

Special features of our monastery

Le Puy-en-Velay used to be called le Puy Sainte Marie. The town remains a marian town with the pilgrimage to the antique Black Virgin, Our Lady of Puy, at the heart of the Cathedral. It is also the point of departure for the oldest path to Saint James of Compostella, and also the path of Regordane to Saint Gilles du Gard which passes in front of our Monastery allowing us sometimes to welcome the pilgrims.



  • Federation : Avignon-Lyon
  • Diocese : Le Puy-en-Velay
  • Ecclesiastical Province : Clermont-Ferrand

Contact our monastery

Monastère du Carmel
48, route du Carmel
43 750 VALS près LE PUY

More information