Monastery St Clare in Montfavet

clamontfavet1redim - Monastery St Clare in Montfavet


The History of our Monastery

The Monastery of Saint Clare of Montfavet was founded on November 29, 1941 by the Poor Clares of the Monastery of Nice-Cimiez. The first Poor Clares came to Avignon in 1230 at the time of Saint Clare. The said monastery was destroyed during the French Revolution. The arrival of the sisters in 1941 bridged the gap with the past presence of the sisters, now they settled in Montfavet, with a huge house and a wide land. To meet the community’s need and to accommodate other sisters, other buildings was built along with a chapel. The work took few years to be completed.

The monastery today

Our community today is multicultural since several sisters from other countries came, in an effort to strengthen, help and renew the 1941 group. Firstly, the sisters from the Philippines actually we have three of them. Then a small group from Haiti, one of them is now a solemn professed and the rest are in their initial formation. Our community is strongly linked with the parish and the diocese.

Special features of our monastery

For our means of livelihood we run a modest hospitality. We can accommodate 20 persons. We clean and rent gowns for “profession of faith” and “first communion”. We grow our own vegetables and abundantly benefit from some local farmers with their fruits and vegetables.



  • Federation : St Damien
  • Diocese : Avignon
  • Ecclesiastical Province : Marseille

Contact our monastery

Monastère Sainte-Claire
1 454, chemin de la Verdière