Monastery of the Poor Clares at Senlis



The History of our Monastery

Our community came into being in 1876 in Paris in the new district of the Military School (l’Ecole Militaire). The Poor Clares of Puy en Velay, founded by St. Colette in 1432, sent several sisters to Paris to refound the monastery of the “Ave Maria” which had been destroyed in 1791.
Several significant events :

  • In 1906, “les inventaires” (compulsory drawing up of inventories of ecclesial goods) which panicked the unwelcome guests more than the sisters…
  • In 1926, more seriously, a ‘flu epidemic affected nearly all the community and resulted in the death of the Abbess and her Vicar.
  • The 2nd June 1980, a great moment : we welcomed Pope John Paul II to our chapel, to pray with the laity of International Catholic Organisations, before his visit to UNESCO.

The monastery today

Our community has been at Senlis since September 2009. We give priority to prayer, to fraternal life and to hospitality. Being only seven sisters, we left Paris to move to a new monastery more adapted to our number. This enables us to have a chapel which is open to all, a guest house for those who want to take time out for God, without forgetting the garden which is appreciated by us, our guests and numerous small animals.

Special features of our monastery

Those from Paris, the Ile de France, Senlis and many others confide to our prayer their marriages (for good weather), or their family life. Requests arrive by telephone, e-mail and letters, often accompanied by a gift, and different sisters reply.
Our chapel is very easily accessible and welcomes up to 100 people for Sunday Mass. It is a great joy for us to live the reality of the Body of Christ in the Church.



  • Federation : Our Lady of the Angels
  • Diocese : Beauvais
  • Ecclesiastical Province : Reims

Contact our monastery

Monastère Sainte-Claire
26 rue du Moulin Saint Étienne
60 300 SENLIS