Abbey La Joie Notre-Dame at Campénéac

campeneac fiche


The history of our monastery

Founded in 1921 at Sainte Anne d’Auray by the Abbey of La Coudre at Laval, our community moved to Campénéac in 1953 thanks to the generosity of our brothers at Timadeuc, then taking the former name of the ancient Cistercian abbey of Hennebont, La Joie Notre Dame. In 1996, we founded in Madagascar, close to Fianarantsoa, the priory of Masina Maria Ampibanjinana, a community which is today the home of a dozen Madagascan and French sisters.

The monastery today

Today, there are about 30 sisters in the Abbey La Joie Notre Dame at Campénéac. The Eucharist and the seven monastic offices, from Lauds at 4 a.m. to Compline at 7.30 p.m., as well as the lectio divina and prayer, are the framework of our days. We follow the Rule of Saint Benedict.
Our accommodation for guests offering 25 rooms, renovated in 2013, permits us to welcome those who would like to share our prayers. Our economic activity is based on a dairy farm and workshops producing biscuits and chocolate.

Some special features of our monastery

 Established in a verdant valley, close to Brocéliande, land of legends, we are eager to lead a simple and fervent monastic life, fraternal and hard‐working, to bear witness in a world which has so much need of hope that God is the sole real joy of mankind.



  • Federation : O.C.S.O.
  • Diocese : Vannes
  • Ecclesiastical province : Rennes

Contact our monastery

Abbaye La Joie Notre-Dame
La Ville Aubert