Carmel of Mary, Mother of God, in Bourges

car bourgesfiche

Locate

The History of our Monastery

In 1617, a group of Carmelites from Pontoise, under the leadership of Mother Isabelle of Jesus Christ, settled in Bourges and founded a monastery under the patronage of “Mary, Mother of God”. At the Revolution, the sisters were expelled from their monastery and all their possessions were confiscated. Condemned to the scaffold, they only escaped the guillotine thanks to the downfall of Robespierre They stayed together and settled on the rue du Puits Noir, right in the centre of the town.

The monastery today

Nearly four centuries have passed… the Carmel of Mary, Mother of God, in Bourges continues its mission of prayer in the shadow of the cathedral at the heart of the diocesan Church. Being receptive to the Holy Spirit, open to God in prayer, letting divine life flow in us and through us to the world, bringing before the Lord the joys and suffering, the hopes and the spiritual thirst of men and women.

The Eucharist (8 a.m. every day, 6 p.m. on Sundays) is at the heart of our day – which follows the rhythm of the Liturgy of the Hours (Lauds, 7.10 a.m, Sext, 11.40 a.m., Vespers, 5 p.m., Readings and Compline 8 p.m.) and the two hours of friendly encounter with God in prayer (6.10 a.m. and 5.30 p.m). The chapel is open from 6.10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and is for many a haven of peace in the centre of the town.

Special features of our monastery

The military camp where our Sr Elisabeth of the Trinity was born on the 18th July 1880 is a few km from Bourges. So we hold her in great affection; in our chapel, there is an exhibition of her life and her message.

About

sdm_0012_ordre-benedictine

  • Federation : Avignon-Lyon
  • Diocese : Bourges
  • Ecclesiastical Province : Tours

Contact our monastery

Monastère du Carmel
6, rue du Puits Noir
18 000 BOURGES

More information