Abbey of Notre-Dame du Pré at Valmont



The history of our monastery

Founded in 1011 by Countess Lescline (a great-aunt of William the Conqueror) at St Pierre sur Dives (Calvados), the community was established some years later at Lisieux. At the time of the French Revolution small groups of nuns took refuge in the region and continued to recite the Divine Office without interruption.
Between 1881 and 1886, Thérèse Martin, who was to become St Teresa of the Child Jesus, attended the convent school. On D-day, June 6 1944, the abbey was bombed and totally destroyed. Reconstruction lasted until 1964. In 1994, the community was transferred to Valmont where they have put new life into an ancient abbey (founded in 1169), whose monks had been driven out at the Revolution.

Our monastery today

Our community at the Abbey of Notre Dame du Pré at Valmont (in the diocese of Le Havre) is made up of 15 sisters who live their consecration to God alternating prayer and work, solitude and community interaction, times of silence and recreation. Our daily life is set around Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours, the Psalms are sung in Latin and in French. Vigils at 6 o’clock, Mass including Terce at 9:45 am (or 10 o’clock), Sext at 12:30, None around 1:30 pm, Vespers at 5:15 pm and Compline at 8:30 pm.

Our guest house facilities offer settings for silence and meditation for both men and women who wish to take some time with and for God and take part in our life of prayer.
Some keywords of our life : living together, sharing, praying, working, loving, serving, listening



  • Congregation : Subiaco
  • Diocese : le Havre
  • Ecclesiastical province : Rouen

Contact our monastery

Abbaye Notre-Dame du Pré
12, rue Raoul Auvray
76 540 VALMONT